In my last post I said I would have more posts soon and now it has been over 2 months. I am very sorry its has been so long since, but it has been very busy lately around the nursery. In this post I am going to get right to the point without much explaining. Here are a few trees that I have wired recently.
This akamatsu, or red pine, was the first tree that I had completely wired in some time, so it was like getting back on a bike after not having rode one in a while. Some of the wire I put on was too weak and others were too strong. Some of my wiring lines were too tightly coiled together while others were too far apart. I corrected all my mistakes and by the time I was finished I felt my wiring skills were back on track. Good thing because Oyakata gave me a few more trees to wire soon after this one!
This tree was bought at an auction so after I finished we placed this tree along with a few others that were for sale in an outdoor display area. While Matt and I were setting the displays, Yusuke slipped away and made an accent plant, one of his favorite activities, both slipping away and making accent plants! I’m not sure of the name of the flower.
Next up was a white pine. Before I began working on this tree Oyakata told me that it was a really nice tree and that it had just regained its health this year, so I was to make sure I did a really good job with it. No pressure!
Again for this tree I pulled most everything down, separating pads and make the overall shape more compact. Oyakata didn’t make any adjustments and said I did a good job, but I did have some help from my sempai Matt, that always helps! My main issues was getting the apex as compressed as it needed to be, but with a little advise from Matt, I believe it turned out well. What do you think?
This shimpaku came from the same auction the akamatsu came from and I was given the task of cleaning it up and getting everything back into shape. Overall the tree didn’t need a whole lot of wiring. Mainly pulling a few of the larger branches down and a few detail wiring here and there to clean the lines up and get wild branches back into shape. I also pinched back long shoots and did a little thinning to allow light to reach interior branches.
Again this tree was placed in an outdoor display area with hopes that a client would fall in love with it and can couldn’t live without having it in his or her collection!
Last for today’s post, another juniper. This material was brought in by a client to be wired. It had grown out quite a bit and was ready to get into shape.
I began by cleaning out the dead needles and unnecessary needles in preparation for wiring. I then cleaned the deadwood with a power washer. I also pulled out the power tools and smoothed a bit of the deadwood that was rough and showed tool marks from previously having been carved. Next step was to apply raffia to the lower left branch and add a piece of rebar which would provide an anchor point for guy wiring down the branch. Then on to wiring beginning with larger wire first.
In my opinion this tree is not the best piece of material in the world, but it’s part of the job working on what comes through the door and doing the best job on it as you can. I believe I accomplished this.
Hoped you enjoyed reading the post. Again sorry I have been slow on getting another post up, but I will try to keep them coming often. Thank you for visiting!